Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Athletes and support staff represent Melfort and area at Canada Winter Games

"(Kari) Heibert will be working with Team Saskatchewan in hockey but representing the Halifax host committee.

"I am going to be there as an athletic therapist. I am actually there as part of the host medical team. So it is for Team Halifax. I was nominated by Sask Hockey to be there with hockey," Heibert explained.

She will represent the host committee and wear their uniform all while serving with Team Saskatchewan. 

"All of my time will be spent with the boys' hockey and the girls' hockey, the guys are under 16, they are first year midget, and the girls are under 18, they are all midgets," she said.

"I am an athletic therapist. I have been involved in athletic therapy since university as a student, in 1995-1996. I became certified as a therapist in 2002," Hiebert said.

"I like hockey and that is what I have been working with," she added.

She explained that an athletic therapist, on the clinical side, works with people with muscle, joint or bone injuries, accesses and assigns rehab programs. At the Winter Games she will be more like a team trainer.


...

It will be her job to decide whether players can continue to play with injuries.

"That is a pretty big honour to be there, sometimes depending on the injury and the situation they may play through with that injury versus in a regular season game because the pressure is on. In Halifax it will be just about keeping them as put together as possible," she said.

She has worked with the Saskatchewan Hockey Association since returning to Saskatchewan in 2005.

"This is my second Winter Games, I also went to Whitehorse in 2007. I was also involved in the Canada Summer Games when they were in Regina, and I have been involved in an assortment of other major games," she said."

Read More...

No comments:

Post a Comment