Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sports medicine woman

"Iris Marshall is a medical doctor trained as a general practitioner, is practicing Sport and Exercise Medicine and Osteopathy and lives by Doctor Butler's adage. At her Gill Road, Grand Bend practice she assesses and treats patients with musculoskeletal complaints such as back pain, neck pain, knee pain, hip pain, foot pain and shoulder and arm pain.

For the past 30 years, Dr. Marshall has attended continuing medical education courses to improve her assessment and treatment of patients with musculoskeletal (MSK) problems. She graduated, as a M.D. from The University of Toronto in 1976 and after completing a rotating internship was a medical officer in the Canadian Armed Forces for three years. "During this time, I realized that my MD training in orthopedics was very good re fractures and surgery but there was little training re treatment of non-surgical MSK problems. I quickly realized that the athletic therapist who has treated me when I was a varsity athlete at university had more knowledge and skill in treating soft tissue injuries than most physicians. The first patients I had with acute low back pain in the Canadian Armed Forces, I treated as I had been taught with bed rest (in our base hospital) and analgesics. After treating three patients in this manner and observing their behaviour and progress, I decided to search for other ways to treat back pain.""

No comments:

Post a Comment