Saturday, August 20, 2011

Park Hotel becomes rehab clinic

"The site of the former Park Hotel is about to get a new lease on life.

Starting in September, what used to be a bar will be open for business as a health clinic, specializing in treating sports injuries and rehabilitation.

Danièle Gervais, who will be running the Optimum Health Center, located at 519 Notre Dame Ave., said she hopes it starts a revitalization of the area.

"It's actually my dad who bought the building. I recently graduated, just in April, and I was looking for a job in Sudbury. I'm from the north and I wanted to stay here, but I couldn't find one, so my dad gave me an opportunity to open up in this space."

Gervais has two degrees, one in kinesiology from Laurentian University and another in athletic therapy from Sheridan College.

For now, it will just be her working in the centre, but she hopes to eventually be able to expand."
...
"Gervais is preparing to open the clinic close to two months after Laurentian University announced the closing of its Voyageur Athletic Therapy Clinic, something she says "reflects badly" on the athletic therapy profession.

"I think (opening the centre) means a great deal, because the university just closed its therapy clinic ... For Sudbury, I feel like I'd like to bring something that's already (being done) down south, because I graduated from Brampton and down there even Oakville high schools have athletic therapists on site. I'm hoping that opening this clinic will bring awareness to Sudbury of how sporting events can be dangerous and how I can help with that.

"I think it's going to be a great opportunity and I'm really looking forward to working with athletes in Sudbury.""

No comments:

Post a Comment